My good friend Karen from college used to make this recipe for us. Sadly, I have done a poor job keeping in touch with her. I was craving her chimichangas Monday while thinking of Cinco De Mayo. I sent her a text and she happily provided the recipe.
My boyfriend and I had another couple over for Cinco De Mayo dinner and it was a total success. Just as delicious as I always remembered.
Here is the recipe –
1-2lb ground beef
1-2 green bell peppers
2 cups salsa (your favorite kind)
2-4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (depending on your preference for cheesiness!)
1-2 garlic cloves minced
1 yellow onion diced
Flour tortillas – medium sized
Vegetable or canola oil
- Saute the onion, garlic, and green peppers
- In a separate pan start browning the meat – once the meat is half way browned, add in your sautéed veggies
- Finish browning the meat with the veggies then add your salsa and cheese – once this is done you can turn off the burner and start filling your tortillas
- When filling the tortillas be careful not to overfill! Otherwise they’ll just fall apart in the oil
- Fry the chimichangas to a nice golden color in about ½ – ¾ inch of oil (or whatever works easiest for you)
This will make quite a bit of chimichangas! Good luck and happy eating!